Thursday, October 28, 2010

Spreading the word on picture books

I recently hosted a Staff Development session for secondary teachers in our county on using Picture Books in the Secondary Classroom. I used many of the titles we looked at and enjoyed during our SURN classes. From THERE'S A NIGHTMARE IN MY CLOSET to the beautifully illustrated and researched biographies of Diane Stanley, picture books can be one of a teacher's best resources. If you have a chalk tray, it should be filled with picture books - to support your content, to enrich your content, to entice reluctant readers, and to use for read alouds. I truly cannot teach alliteration without ANIMALIA. Get a copy and you will see why; then have your students create their own alliterative sentences using sentence strips. A new favorite is IT'S A BOOK by Lane Smith.

If you would like a copy of my list of great picture books, email me and I'll send it to you.
Brooks
bspencer@fcps1.org

No comments:

Post a Comment